Monday, November 15, 2010

Max and the Letter A

One of my other mommy friends clued me in to a wonderful blog for homeschooling, Confessions of  Homeschooler.  I've scrolled through her curriculum, and there are certain activities I REALLY like, and wanted to try at home.

One of those was her Letter of the Week curriculum.  I downloaded all the letters and thought we'd ease into it -- because 1) I am NOT homeschooling my children and 2) my kids learn ALL DAY LONG at daycare and I want home time to be fun. 

I can tell that lil Max needs to be challenged and stimulated already -- he is getting bored with just coloring -- so this week I printed off the Letter A curriculum, laminated it, and set it in front of him.

He took off like I never IMAGINED!!


 Getting ready to trace the Letter A

I was amazed.  I literally handed him the marker and told him "use the marker to trace the lines on the Letter A" -- this is what he did -- on his FIRST TRY!!!

Then we tried it with the circle-dot Letter A.  He was more interested in tracing than using the pom poms...



Pom pom art with the Letter A

We will definitely be continuing these activities at home.  He got such a kick out of them and they entertained him the entire time I cooked dinner.  As long as they don't become a 'chore', I am happy to have them as an activity.

We also printed off the days of the week and weather chart for the fridge.  He loves getting up in the morning and moving the "today" "Tomorrow" and "yesterday" place markers.  He also goes over to the window, looks outside, and decides what the weather looks like so that he can change it on our weather chart.

It's the simple things in life that make learning fun.  I want to keep him challenged and EXCITED to learn new things -- and I think these activities are PERFECT for doing that!

3 comments:

Mia said...

If you are looking for other fun activites that are just "fun" Another November momma has a fun activity blog too!

http://toddlerboredombusters.blogspot.com/

Melanie said...

Yep, we officially need to do this. My kid is bored silly by the same old same old too. . . Time to print and laminate!

mel said...

You are an inspiration! Hooray for busy Max and cooking Mom!