Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Goal 1: Participate in Project 52

I posted my 2012 goals earlier in the week.  My first goal for the year is to participate in a photography project, more specifically Project 52.  You might be wondering why a non-photographer such as myself chose a photography challenge...and honestly, I might be too!  I figure at the very least, it will get me more comfortable with my camera and get me to step out of my comfortability area a bit more...  Plus, there are participants in this project from all walks of photography -- some are doing the project completely on their phones!  No pressure!!



 My friend, Tiffany Dahle over at Peanut Blossom started a new initiative called Develop.  Through Develop (and in collaboration with some friends of hers) she is leading a Group called Project 2012 on Flickr.  I had followed along with Tiffany last year as she participated in a similar project, so when she started recruiting participants I thought, why not?

Why not indeed?  Well, for one thing, many people are intimidated by year long projects (me included).  But Tiffany made me feel super confident that I would be able to play along -- and at my OWN PACE (that was key).  Project 52 simply means that I will **commit** to taking one picture a week for the 52 weeks in 2012.  I say commit lightly because it's not like I am being graded or judged, or that anyone is going to come and knock down my door if I DON'T post a picture.  For realz.

After thinking it through, I decided I could do it.  And you know what?  After taking my first picture on Sunday, Jan 1, 2012 -- I realized that **gasp** maybe 52 pictures wasn't going to be enough??  I mean, with only 52 pictures I'd be missing out on the other 314 days of the year!  Why would I do that to myself?



Luckily, JUST as I was having this epiphany, Tiffany reminded me about how last year she blogged THIS POST, which reminded me that this project is WHATEVER YOU MAKE OF IT.  It is YOUR project to own -- no one else's.  It was at that precise moment that I decided I would *try* to take a picture a day for the entire year -- but if I wasn't able to do it for whatever reason -- no sweat. I even recruited the Mister to help out -- and he accepted (so you might get a few cameos of his pictures soon!).  What started out as a simple Project 52 goal for me has already morphed into something more....which shouldn't be surprising for anyone that knows me well....

I've been having a lot of fun so far this week taking pictures (I know, we're only on day 4) -- I've been uploading them to the Group Flickr site but also to my photostream and to my Facebook page, so feel free to come over to any of those places and check them out.  I'll also be posting them weekly to the blog for my click-cautious followers.  I'm super excited to be participating in this project this year!!!

So, are you on the fence about participating??  Just do it!  You can start whenever you want to, so don't feel like you missed out on anything already!  I'd love to see what your day to day is like thorugh your pictures too! Click here for more FAQs.  And please leave me a comment to let me know if you ARE already or plan to participate so I can make sure I keep my eyes out for your additions!!

Happy snapping!

No comments: