Friday, January 13, 2012

Foodie Friday: Stef's Havana Salad



I made this delicious salad at the recommendation of my friend (who also happens to be a pretty awesome personal trainer) Heather, when she pinned it for a group of us mommies she is advising as we are currently trying to get healthy.

Of course, because I rarely follow a recipe EXACTLY, I made some alterations to it (which made it quite delicious in my opinion!  Check it out!


Stef's Havana Salad
(original recipe by Ashley Modlin on www.tastebook.com) 

Ingredients

  • 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 1/2 red onion diced finely
  • 1/4 cup leek dops finally chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh fennel tops, chopped finely
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp cumin, ground
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
  • 4 cups brown rice, cooked (you can substitue quinoa or rice pasta here also)
  • 15 ounces black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
  • 8 ounces white northern beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine the avocado, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, cumin and black pepper and toss until coated.
  2. In a small pot brown the minced garlic and add the beans and cook for 5 mins over medium-low heat.
  3. Add beans, rice, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, leek and fennel to avocado mixture and mix thoroughly.
  4. Let the salad chill in the refrigerator before serving.  (Serve on top of baby spinach and salad greens for an extra burst of healthiness!)

Notes

Calories: 298; Fat: 7g; Carbs: 51g; Protein: 11g; Cholesterol: 0 mg. (6 servings)
     
***The salad keeps well for a few days in the refrigerator.  I squeezed 1/4 lime on top of it the other day to give it an extra kick.  Delicious!  I will definitely be making this again -- and it got the thumbs up from the picky bean/salad eater in the family also (big Max).

2 comments:

Heather Hickson said...

Thanks for the shout out : ). The original recipe I have is actually from Oxygen magazine. I can't remember who it was written by but I wanted to let it be known. I actually have hundreds of recipes that I yanked out of Oxygen. Great resource : )

Megan said...

Sounds wonderful!!