Friday, March 9, 2012

Foodie Friday: Crockpot Chicken Tacos

I wish I had a photo of this deliciousness to share with you, but we ate this too fast to snap a shot of it, and my only other option would be to steal someone else's photo off the interwebs.  So, I am just going to share this delicious recipe with you without any visual aids and you're going to have to take my word on it.  Sorry.  It doesn't make the prettiest picture anyway, trust me.  :)

I originally pinned this recipe, and it was the inspiration for mine -- of course anyone that knows me knows that when I cook, I rarely follow recipes, and I always add my own little twists.  Makes life interesting!

Anyways, I whole heartedly recommend making this super EASY recipe -- and I even have a few tricks up my sleeve to make it even EASIER!

Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Time:  Prep = 5 mins; Cook time = 4-6 hrs on high; 6-8 hours on low

Ingredients: 
1 envelope enchilada sauce (okay, so the original recipe calls for taco seasoning, but I didn't have any!  And I was too lazy to make my own, so I just dumped this in...trust me, it was GREAT)
6 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 jar Salsa (16 oz)

1/4 cup pepper jelly (optional -- I had some left over that my mom had given me, and this made the chicken a little bit sweeter, which I liked)

Dump everything into a crock pot and give it a little stir to blend the seasoning with the salsa. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.


I shredded up my chicken a little bit with a fork halfway through cooking to make it even moister.

When done cooking the chicken should shred easily with a fork -- but I have a BETTER way.  You can thank me later.  Get out your hand mixer -- YES -- your hand mixer.  Stick it in your crockpot and turn it on low.  Your chicken will shred unbelievably easily and PERFECTLY. 

You're welcome.

We ate this deliciousness in soft shell tacos with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, sour cream (or Greek yogurt is a great substitute), avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.  You could even add a jalapeno or two if you need a little bit more spice in your life.  Mine is spicy enough, thank you.

This recipe gets 5 stars from the family, and will definitely be made again soon!  So easy and SO delicious!

No comments: