Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thirty Days of Thankfulness: Day 6

Election Day 2012 -- I am thankful for many MANY things today. 

1.  I am thankful that I have the right to vote.   This is our one civic duty that makes us a democracy! People in some other countries would die for this right. People in our country HAVE died so we (especially women and minorities) could have this right.



2.  Living in a swing state, I am thankful that today will mark the end of all the relentless, never-ending political phone calls.  I will be thankful for peace in my own house....

Let's hope I will still be thankful tonight after all is said and done :)

1 comment:

Laura said...

Just a little tidbit of information for you...techinically we are a Republic and not a democracy. We elect representatives who make policy decisions on our behalf. A democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. Just the Political Science junkie in me :)